President Goodluck Jonathan has expressed joy that Nigerian troops have successfully dislodged Boko Haram from Yobe state.
Jonathan, who spoke on Thursday at presidential campaign rally of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Damaturu, the Yobe State capital said the era of Boko Haram unleashing terror on innocent citizens was over, Punch reports.
Yobe is one of the states that have been hardest hit by the Boko Haram menace for years.
“As I speak, I am so happy to announce that Yobe has been freed of Boko Haram as all territories, earlier under the control of the sect members, had been recaptured by our able troops and we will henceforth resist any attempt by the sect members or any group to take control of any territory.
“It is unfortunate that our brothers and sisters have turned mad against us and have left us with these sad memories,” the president said.
Addressing the crowd at the rally ground in Damaturu, Jonathan promised that the Federal Government would resist any attempt by the Islamist sect to take over any Nigerian town or village.
He noted that the Federal Government was totally committed to putting an end to terrorism in the nation and also improving the lives of the people of the areas despite the activities of the insurgent.
Boko Haram insurgency has taken the lives of thousands of people since it started waging war in 2009.
Over 1.5 million have been rendered homeless and made refugees in the country.